Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Glimpse into 1935

Those of you who know me well, know I love the past and everything about it. I love to imagine what it was like when my grandmother was a child, a teenager, a young adult. I love to imagine my great grandmother and what it was like for her as well. I love to imagine what it would have been like for myself to live in the 50s, or the 40s, or the 30s etc. I love antique shopping. I love looking at each treasure and imagining who may have owned it and wondering at the fact that they had an entire story--and entire family--that they may still be around somewhere.


So I have this journal I just got. From a girl in her early 20s in 1935. Every day is filled in. Not much space to write, but yet somehow she writes so many details in each page's little space. I have started reading it--I have only gotten to mid February, but it is so amazing to read her thoughts, activities etc. There is also a boy she likes whom she calls "97". So cute!

I just wanted to share a few excerpts--hopefully you enjoy it as much as I have!

Diary of Ruth Hoffman
Carlisle, Pennsylvania

Weight: 139 Height: 5ft 5 in
Shoe Size: 6.5

"Tuesday, January 8th, 1935--
Still foggy, cloudy. Nothing much doing all day. Finished my tom. Wanted to go to class meeting this evening but said it was too foggy to drive. So I stayed at home and listened to Bing Crosby on radio."

"Saturday, January 19th, 1935--
We girls were in town this morning. Mary helped at a rummage sale so we didn't get hom til 11:30. This evening we were in town again and Esther and I saw "Home on the Range". It was a swell picture. Saw 97 this morning. Snowing all the time we were away."

"Sunday, February 3, 1935--
I was at Sunday School this morning. This evening Esther and I went to town to Dorthea's went with her to Christian Orthodox Church. She gave us ice cream. After we left we went to town for a cake and (Denae had the nerve to stop and ask us how came to town.)"

"Saturday, February 9, 1935--
Slippy! Slippy! Rain and everything sure is slippy. We were in town this morning. We were in town again this evening with Mary F. all evening. I saw 97 this evening but he didn't see me."


Cute huh?

4 comments:

  1. You are much like me in that respect--I love all of those things, too. How neat to have her journal! Is that a picture of her? She looks like Ginger Rogers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the Diary from? Was it actually from an antique store or something? That sounds so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! Can you just imagine sitting in a cozy chair...a foggy, wet, evening outside...listening to Bing? It's dreamy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I read this wrong the first time. For some reason I thought this was your Grandma's journal from the 30s... It makes sense now.. :)

    ReplyDelete